Subject: Re: Need some help with modems and tty's
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: Al Urbaitis <aurbaiti@servecom.picker.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/16/1999 17:46:08
Hi Dave

David Maxwell wrote:

al > > If the modem is not recognized as it is then what would be a reasonable approach ?
al > > 2. Is there another way to tell NetBSD how to treat the device ?

dave > Yes, if you know what it is, you can add an entry to the table
dave >
dave > /usr/src/sys/dev/isapnp/isapnpdevs already contains this:
dave > devlogic        com     BRI1400         0       Boca 33.6 PnP
dave >
dave > So I'd guess it's a Boca, not a USR. Add a similar entry,
dave > do a 'make -f Makefile.isapnpdevs' in that directory, then
dave > compile a new kernel, and your device will appear cleanly
dave > at startup.

Hmmmm...
I dont seem to have a file named isapnpdevs at /usr/src/sys/dev/isapnp
I am using the 1.3.2 CDROM's as my source for this installation.
( The idea was to get this lit, make sure everything works and then go to 1.4x :)

From you note it seems that such an entry will tell make to build
a "driver" for this modem type ? Then rebuilding the kernel will add this
"driver" to the kernel ?

Thanks again for the assistance

Al