Subject: Re: HD going banana
To: orione <orione@fol.it>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/14/1999 20:05:15
On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 06:32:43PM -0700, orione wrote:
> Help!!!
>
> Some time ago my server [NetBSD 1.3.2] was brutally turned off by a
> black out.
> When I turned on again, I had to do an fsck, that told me about some
> file system problem "corrected" on /usr partition. I believed it did it.
> Well, to make a long story short, if I ftp some .tgz on a temporary
> directory, then I give the command
>
> gzip --test -v *.tgz
>
> many times, I got different "file corrupted", sometimes on the first
> file, others on the n'th file, others all files seems good!!!! If the
> gzip doesn't give me an error message, the file is decrunched rightly.

Really sounds like an intermitent memory problem. First thing I would
try is to swap out some simms if possible, turn off caches, etc ...
Also check the IDE cable.
Now maybe it's just the HD or controller which is bad.
Does this machine do ultra-DMA ? If so, with the patches did you get CRC
errors ?