Subject: NetBSD-1.4: strange system load reports
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/14/1999 23:53:19
G'day,

usually I'm not very concerned about the load averages on my system, but
this seems to be rather strange....

After upgrading my workstation from NetBSD-1.3.3 to NetBSD-1.4-i386 I noticed
"uptime" reporting load averages > 2  for all three time intervalls whilst
vmstat and top show idle times > 97%. The system is still very
responsive and I wouldn't have noticed this if it wasn't for porting
a program to NetBSD which makes use of the getloadavg() function.
This all happens whilst the system is sitting idle with no major
activity taking place.

I've been browsing the mail archive and only found one reference to this
problem in netbsd-current; an email which didn't receive any response. I've
attached a copy of this report below.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Sysinfo:
NetBSD 1.4
Cyrix 686-120, 32MB

As always, your help is very much appreciated.

cheerio Berndt
--
Name	: Berndt Josef Wulf
E-Mail	: wulf@ping.net.au