Subject: Re: Plug and Pray
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/13/1999 22:45:23
>Also, do you have chapter and verse from the PCI specs that say the bios
>is responsible for configuration?  I'd like to understand the reasoning
>there.

I don't have a copy of the PCI BIOS Spec (which is distinct from the
PCI spec, so maybe we should all be careful about which spec we're
talking about).  The PCI spec (2.1, I don't have 2.2 yet) says very little
about the BIOS setup, but it does say in section 6.6:

6.6. System Reset

After system reset, the processor(s) must be able to access boot
code and any devices necessary to boot the machine. Depending on
the system architecture, bridges may need to come up enabled to
pass these accesses through to the remote bus.  Similarly, devices
on PCI may need to come up enabled to recognize fixed addresses to
support the boot sequence in a system architecture. Such devices
are required to support the Command register disabling function
described in Section 6.2.2.. They should also provide a mechanism
(invoked through the Configuration Space) to re-enable the recognition
of fixed addresses.

So I could see how a vendor could interpret this as not having to do
all required device initialization at boot time.  Hmmm, a CD with
all the specs on it is only $50; I think I'll order one on Monday.

In a more practical sense, we are apparantly the ONLY operating system
that has that problem; maybe we should fix it for that reason alone?

--Ken