Subject: Re: Does our IDE support UDMA /66 drives on older chipsets?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/10/1999 09:51:38
On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 07:57:19PM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> I have an ~4-year-old machine with a Triton II chipset set up ina lab
> rack. I find I need to hang about 80 gigs of disk off it.  Can I
> remove the CD and stick two ~40-gig (currently UDMA) drives on this
> machine, one on each channel, or with the UDMA drives not work on this
> old chipset? Does it matter that the high-density drives are rated for
> UDMA / 66, or (like scsi) will newer drives work with older
> controllers?  Or will I run into stupid c/h/s limits?

It should work, but don't expect UDMA. The PIIX chipset won't do it.
This combination will probably use DMA mode 2.

The only problem you may have is that such large drives may confuse
older BIOSs, I've had this happen to me just yesterday. I had to
disable translation mode in the BIOS to make it handle a 12.5G drive,
which means that I could not boot from > 2G (it didn't do int13 extensions
either).

- Frank