Subject: Re: IRD
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/09/1999 11:21:13
Ken Hornstein writes:
> The real tricky part is that both sides have to have an idea as to who
> is the transmitter and who is the receiver, _and_ that they have to
> switch roles every so often.  IrDA has all of the magic to deal with
> that.  I think to really make PPP work, you'd almost have to invent
> something like IrDA, and if you're doing that, maybe it would just be
> easier to _do_ IrDA? :-)

 From reading http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/irda-flaws.html
it seems that much of the IRDA protocol is a reimplementation of what
PPP already provides.  The author also has some choice words to say
about IRDA's design, and how adding it to a kernel would essentially
duplicate, albeit badly, a service that is already provided.

But other than that, I see no reason not to add it. ;-)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
DGPS signals via the Internet  http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/gps/dgps-ip.html