Subject: Re: IRD
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/08/1999 23:28:59
kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil (Ken Hornstein) writes:
> Writing the "driver" is actually fairly straightforward (last time
> I looked, they had the hardware docs online).  The hard part is
> doing the IRDA networking stack (which Windows provides, for
> example).  One would need to be written.

I was wondering how feasible it would be to cut some corners here.  If
one were only interested in doing IR communication with other open
systems (eg. NetBSD/Openbsd/Freebsd/Linux), couldn't one talk mostly
stock async PPP out the IR port?  One would have to interlock the RX
and TX so as to not blind one's receiver by turning on the transmitter
in the middle of a received packet, but other than that are there any
other caveats?

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>