Subject: Re: Major Drive Problems
To: Josh Hope <otaku@unixborg.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/1999 20:45:32
On Sun, Jun 06, 1999 at 03:13:45AM -0400, Josh Hope wrote:
> [...]
>
> Oh man, I had a feeling something like this would happen. fsck just ran
> itself again, and for some reason it passed with no errors. The only
> change I made to my system was removing a SCSI drive (but the SCSI
> controller doesn't work with NetBSD, and it's been sitting in the case
> benignly ever since I installed NetBSD 1.4). I have no idea, but for some
> reason that seems to have corrected the problem. Everything appears to be
> working again...

Are you sure your cables are OK ? If there is a bad connection, just moving
or opening the box to remove the SCSI drive could have changed his position
and make it work again.
This can also be a power issue: your power supply is a bit short and
makes your drive fail, removing the scsi drive gives a bit more power to
the IDE one, this can be enouth ...