Subject: Re: Toshiba Tecra 8000 & sound
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Benjamin Lorenz <lorenz@inetmail.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/1999 13:03:54
Hi Jason!

> Uncomment the "opl... at isa? ... 0x330..." in your kernel config file,
> and all will (hopefully :-) be well.

 sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 10 drq 3 drq2 3  # SoundBlaster
 wss0    at isa? port 0x530 irq 10 drq 3 drq2 3  # Windows Sound System
 opl0    at isa? port 0x388      # use only if not attached to sound card

These are my current bios settings; on 0x330 there's a MPU401 (MIDI I/F).

>  > How can I specify the port the 3Com card should operate on? From
>  > MS Windows, I can set the port to, say, 0x270, then sound and
>  > network go together, at least under Windows...
>
> You could set pcic_isa_alloc_iobase to 0x270, for example.

How do I do this? Setting PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOBASE in my kernel config file?
What about PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOSIZE? i82365_isasubr.c's comment says I would
have to set both... Will it have influence on how other hardware is
detected?

Maybe it is of interest that

 com1 at pcmcia1 function 0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff: serial device

is a pcmcia modem card which is working quite happily.

How does Windows set the io port for the 3Com card? Is there some eeprom
on the card that gets updated? Or will it be re-configured on every boot?

No matter what I configure the card under Windows -- NetBSD finds it
(does it really?) on 0x330...

--
Benjamin.Lorenz@gmx.de                                        +49 700 68051000