Subject: Re: Major Drive Problems
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixborg.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/06/1999 03:13:45
>It looks like you have been bitten by the same bug as I have. 2 IDE drives
>that support different pio and dma modes. Maybe you can post your dmesg
>output to see the exact controller type and disk access modes. Manuel
>put in a patch in the pciide driver to fix the problem, but I have not
>been able to test it. Try to build a kernel with this patch, or force
>both drives to use the same modes (the lowest supported by both drives)
>by using the flags in the wd? devices.

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I've been a bit busy this past week.
I suppose the output that most concerns us here is that concerning the
drives. Okay, a small dilemma came up. I can't reproduce the output, as I
have no way of getting it. Since my entire /usr partition is screwed up,
I don't have access to the dmesg program itself. I tried booting off of
the startup disk, but sysinst comes up too quickly and there's no way to
scroll back up to see the drive information. I tried starting up hitting
ctrl-c, but that didn't work either.

Oh man, I had a feeling something like this would happen. fsck just ran
itself again, and for some reason it passed with no errors. The only
change I made to my system was removing a SCSI drive (but the SCSI
controller doesn't work with NetBSD, and it's been sitting in the case
benignly ever since I installed NetBSD 1.4). I have no idea, but for some
reason that seems to have corrected the problem. Everything appears to be
working again...

Thanks for the help, though :)

--
Josh Hope
"Sluggishly meandering via a temporary Mac OS server."