Subject: Re: q3test + riva tnt working..
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/05/1999 17:42:27
On Sat, Jun 05, 1999 at 10:12:43AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> I'm trying to remember precisely how I did it...  I think Andrew's
> instructions are pretty much on the ball.  But you need to do one
> very important thing, first...
>
> You *must* have a kernel w/ COMPAT_AOUT, and you *must* have an
> /emul/aout populated with your shared libraries and dynamic linker:

Hm. One thing that's sort of spooked me so far... When I have a kernel
with COMPAT_AOUT in it, it looks like my "stuff" sees /emul/aout in place
of what I'd expect it to see. To wit, "ls /usr" shows me the contents of
/emul/aout/usr, not the actual contents of /usr. Is this to be expected,
and will I run into any problems with this being the case?

So, the updated list of stuff to do, in order:

Run kernel with COMPAT_AOUT and a populated /emul/aout
BOOTSTRAP_ELF=YES >> /etc/mk.conf
cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin && make clean && make depend && make && make install
cd /usr/src/gnu/lib/libbfd && make clean && make depend && make && make install
cd /usr/src/lib/csu && make clean && make depend && make && make install
OBJECT_FMT=ELF >> /etc/mk.conf
LDSTATIC=-static in /etc/mk.conf
cd /usr/src && make build

Is this correct? Also, a newbieish question, but where do I want to set
and unset DESTDIR in this process to make sure stuff is working?

Thanks in advance for the additional prods, pointers, and reassurances. :)
Also, note that I have a recent backup, so shooting myself in the foot is
acceptable, if not particularly desired.

--
                           /\
     Mason Loring Bliss   /()\   mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us