Subject: Re: q3test + riva tnt working..
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/05/1999 10:12:43
On Sat, 5 Jun 1999 07:57:13 -0400
 Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us> wrote:

 > I'll go through your instructions (and Jason's) again, see what makes sense
 > to me, and leap into it.

I'm trying to remember precisely how I did it...  I think Andrew's
instructions are pretty much on the ball.  But you need to do one
very important thing, first...

You *must* have a kernel w/ COMPAT_AOUT, and you *must* have an
/emul/aout populated with your shared libraries and dynamic linker:

	/emul/aout/usr/
			lib/lib*.so.*
			libexec/ld.so
			pkg/lib/lib*.so.*
			X11R6/lib/lib*.so.*
			local/lib/lib*.so.*

If you don't do that, you'll be REALLY sorry :-)

Then next thing you'll want to do, once you have the base OS running
ELF, is to download xsrc, and do a fresh "make all" in xsrc, and install
the result.

*Then* you can start rebuilding all of your packages to ELF.  This is
kind of tricky; you have to compute dependencies in your brain, and
build the right libs first (and install them w/ "reinstall" or
FORCE_PKG_REGISTER), so that you don't try to mix a.out and ELF objects
when you build a program that depends on a library that the pkg system
thinks already exists.

Note, there are still a few ELF gotchas in the pkg system, but I nailed
a few of them in the past couple of days, at least (ssh and emacs had
some problems; still need to fix mpg123 :-)  Most everything works, tho.

Note that I have no a.out compat stuff on my laptop; I have rebuilt
*everything* and have happily purged a.out from that part of my life :-)