Subject: Re: ftp_proxy problem solved
To: John Refling <johnr@spimageworks.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/05/1999 15:34:09
John Refling writes:
> in csh:
>	set ftp_proxy=ftp://server:port		didn't work
>	setenv FTP_PROXY ftp://server:port	didn't work
>	setenv ftp_proxy ftp://server:port	did work.

That's not surprising, given:
	- `set ftpproxy' only modifies the shell's internal variable list,
	  which isn't available to external programs.
	- `setenv FTP_PROXY' changes the environment variable FTP_PROXY,
	  which ftp(1) doesn't use.
	- `setenv ftp_proxy' changes the environment variable ftp_proxy,
	  which ftp(1) does use.

> By the way, is there a way to get the list of files
> for a directory on ftp://site.com/dir on the command
> line, eg, the same as "ls" in active mode?

	ftp ftp://site.com/dir/
	ftp> dir
	ftp> quit
:-)

Seriously, it's a potential feature. It wouldn't work if you were
using $ftp_proxy, because the proxy would return a HTML formatted
document containing the list, and I'm *not* putting a HTML parser
into ftp(1)... :)