Subject: Re: q3test + riva tnt working..
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/04/1999 21:21:22
On Fri, 4 Jun 1999 22:27:21 -0400
 Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us> wrote:

 > How would one go about building an ELF-based system? Does the kernel and
 > userland build in ELF? I don't know much about ELF, but I'm curious. The
 > only relevant thing I can find is this, in /usr/share/mk/bsd.README:
 >
 > OBJECT_FMT      Object file format. [set to "ELF" on  ports that use
 >                 ELF -- currently if ${MACHINE_ARCH} is "alpha", "mips"
 >                 or "powerpc" or  set to "a.out" on other ports].
 >
 > Thanks in advance for clues.

I'm running an ELF system on my PPro at work and on my new laptop.  It's
possible to build the tree as ELF, but the bootstrapping process is a little
tedious.

However, for those of us who have ELF systems up and running, building an
ELF snapshot is a piece of cake.

Maybe I'll make one this weekend, and hand it out at USENIX for people who
want to try it.. (better hunt down my crossover cable :-)