Subject: Re: anybody know the format of the ftp_proxy env var?
To: John Refling <johnr@spimageworks.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/04/1999 20:07:53
John Refling <johnr@spimageworks.com> writes:
> This is used by ftp.  the man page on ftp mentions it but
> does not describe the syntax.

Uh, yes it does.  to quote:

     ftp_proxy      URL of FTP proxy to use when making FTP URL requests (if
                    not defined, use the standard ftp protocol).

     http_proxy     URL of HTTP proxy to use when making HTTP URL requests.

     no_proxy       A space or comma separated list of hosts (or domains) for
                    which proxying is not to be used.  Each entry may have an
                    optional trailing ":port", which restricts the matching to
                    connections to that port.

That is, both http_proxy and ftp_proxy are URLs.

> I want to be able to set a proxy ftp SERVER so I can ftp
> things from behind a firewall, just like in Netscape and
> lynx.  In those two programs the syntax is:
>
> server-ip:port
>
> ie, 10.0.0.10:1234

Actually as far as I know, lynx expects ftp_proxy and http_proxy to be
URLs.  It may accept the form you provide, but according to:

http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/release2-8-2/lynx2-8-2/lynx_help/keystrokes/environments.html

it would appear that "http://some.server.dom:port/" URLs are the
preferred form.

cgd