Subject: Re: serial-console aware motherboard
To: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@confusion.net>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/04/1999 14:21:50
"Michael K. Sanders" <msanders@confusion.net>  wrote:

 > So what happens when motherboards no longer have ISA slots?  Can this
 > be done with a PCI card, too?

Well, initially, it was done as an ISA board because the original
MDA board was an MDA board.  It's not clear to me that any BIOS
will recognize an MDA board in a PCI slot but aside from that;
using ISA slots keeps PCI slots free and I'd rather use my PCI
slots for scsi controllers and ethernet controllers, and OC3
cards...

Having said that, if the market starts generating a lot of motherboards
with only PCI slots, and the market _still_ hasn't woken up and just
put serial support in the BIOS,  then we'll obviously have to do
something.

Personally, this product is its own death.  If it actually becomes
a popular item, then BIOS and hardware manufacturers will say "huh.
You know, we could just make this work with a serial console" which
in the end is what I wish they'd all just do anyway.