Subject: Re: serial-console aware motherboard
To: Paul Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/04/1999 10:26:58
Paul Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com>  wrote:
 > Sorry about sending this tothe wrong group the first time *8^((
 >
 > >Would it be completely out of line to mention something I've been working
 > >on?  http://www.realweasel.com
 >
 > I forwarded this to a friend who had more, or less, the same reaction.
 >
 > 1. How much does it cost?

Right now it doesn't cost anything because they're not finished yet. We're
thinking along the lines of $200US by the time we're there..

 > 2. Definately a good step but, why not have it connect with 10/100BaseT[X] so
 >    I can hub a bunch of them together and use some xterm interface to interact
 >    with?

We considered that and it may actually happen in a future product but the
way _I_ intend to use it is to plug the servers into a terminal server
which also doubles as a way to authenticate connections to the consoles,
in addition to providing me a telnet interface to the consoles that I can
run inside an xterm.  It just seems more 'straightforward' to me and
more in line with 'the right answer' than making an ethernet card that
isn't...

Besides, once an ethernet-card-that-isn't is built, someone is going to
come along and insist that we put snmp in it and build a mib to link it
to HP/OpenView at which point, I'll throw my hands up in disgust.

I want to finish this product so I can move on to the next one. If you
thought _this_ was a creepy hack, just wait til you see the SCSI-Weasel/2000!