Subject: Re: Major Drive Problems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/04/1999 04:54:59
In article <1283667052-50702@unixborg.net> otaku@unixborg.net (Josh Hope) writes:

>My swap partition is on a Maxtor 500MB drive, while the /usr partition is
>on a Western Digital 1GB drive. The root partition resides with swap on
>the Maxtor (and the root partition passed the file system checks on
>startup).

It looks like you have been bitten by the same bug as I have. 2 IDE drives
that support different pio and dma modes. Maybe you can post your dmesg
output to see the exact controller type and disk access modes. Manuel
put in a patch in the pciide driver to fix the problem, but I have not
been able to test it. Try to build a kernel with this patch, or force
both drives to use the same modes (the lowest supported by both drives)
by using the flags in the wd? devices.

christos