Subject: Re: Floating point exception during 1.4 upgrade...
To: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
From: Webmaster Jim <jspath@bcpl.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/02/1999 21:48:31
On Wed, Jun 02, 1999 at 05:51:50PM -0400, Rick Byers wrote:
> Yep, me too.  I assumed it was because I didn't have a FPU (old 386),
> but obviously that isn't the case.  Has ANYONE done a SUCESSFUL upgrade
> to 1.4 using sysinst?  Just untar the tarballs directly.
>
> Brian Stark wrote:
> > Since my problem happened on the i386 platform, I am sending this to
> > port-i386 in addition to netbsd-help.
> >
> > I have a 1.3.3 system that I tried to upgrade to 1.4 last night and during
> > the installation I saw these messages (sysinst was running from the boot
> > disk):
> >
> >   uid 0 on /: file system full
> >   /: write failed, file system is full
> >   Foating point exception
> >
> > There was a core dump for sysinst and at the command prompt I ran df.
> > The output for the root file system is:
> >
> >   /dev/md0a  1375  1124  251 81% /
> >
> > I then re-ran sysinst and got the following message:
> >
> >   Help! No /etc/fstab in target disk wd0.
> >
> > Anyone else seen this? Luckily, I did have a backup, and I was able to
> > perform a new installation on the disk without problems.
> >
> > I have one more system that I need to upgrade, and I'm wondering if
> > others have seen this problem, or know how to solve it. In case it
> > matters, the system is a Dell Pentium, 166Mhz, with 128MB memory.

I was able to use sysinst after a couple false starts to go from 1.3.3
to 1.4. The install checked my disks several times, sometimes reporting
bogus errors and halting the install. I also needed to rename /etc.old
to something else to get it to continue.

I persisted and am running under 1.4 now.

P.S.  I untarred the X distribution manually.

Marvin the Paranoid Android.