Subject: Re: i386 ex0
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Wenchi Liao <wliao@midway.uchicago.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/02/1999 17:34:03
"R. C. Dowdeswell" wrote:

>On 928280723 seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
>Lennart Augustsson wrote:
>>
>>Wenchi Liao wrote:
>>
>>> newly installed netbsd 1.4, i386 port. Installed via ftp, so I know the
>>> INSTALL kernel sees and can use the the ethernet card.
>>>
>>> The card is a 3com 3c905(b?) 10/100 etherlink, using the ex driver.
>>> When booting with the GENERIC kernel, dmesg sez:
>>>
>>> ex0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0: can't map I/O space
>>
>>Make sure to turn OFF PnP OS in BIOS.
>
>Speaking of which, what would be involved in fixing this?

Thanks to Lennart, turning PnP off in BIOS did the trick. On a related
note, I was doing something with a lot of disk activity (unpacking
kernel source?) and pulled the cable out of the back. A message from
ex0 popped on the screen (in ``wscons blue'') and the machine froze.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce it, nor do I remember
the message.

But the ex works just dandy.

WL