Subject: Re: On-Board Adaptec Support
To: Peter Simons+mail.list.netbsd.port-i386 <simons@cys.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/02/1999 08:51:26
On 2 Jun 1999, Peter Simons+mail.list.netbsd.port-i386 wrote:

: one more question: I do have a really fast and nice machine standing
: around here, which I'd like to use for NetBSD, too. Unfortunately the
: motherboard is equipped with an on-board Adaptec SCSI controller,
: which Windows identifies as being the "aic78u2". Searching through the
: web sites I see no mention of this chip at all, but the 1.2 release
: pages claim that aic78XX would in principle be support except for the
: occasions when it does not work. :-)

Since you've already tried to get it recognized, you should have seen a line
in the PCI detection saying `...vendor X, device X, ... not configured'.  If
you wish to catch these numbers and post them, we could probably identify
the card.

My guess is that this is the AIC7890, which is the exception to the rule
(it's a completely different chipset than the rest of the 78xx line, and not
yet supported).