Subject: PCMCIA ne2000 under 1.4
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Squier <groo@cs.stevens-tech.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/01/1999 18:37:05
I have a LinkSys NE2000 clone, PCMCIA ethernet card in a Toshiba laptop which
has worked flawlessly under 1.3.x for some time.  Yesterday, I upgraded the
machine to 1.4 by wiping the disk and using sysinst.  The install kernel
recognized the card just fine and I used it to install (over NFS).

Once booted, the GENERIC kernel as well as any kernel I custom build for the
machine refuse to play nicely with the card.  I get "ne0: device timed out"
for any operation (with the exception of the ifconfig).

Any ideas what could be causing this?  It's quite bizarre, considering the 1.4
INSTALL kernel works beautifully with it!

The only thing I can think of is an irq conflict.  I _think_ the INSTALL
kernel allocated irq 9 for the card, while GENERIC and my custom built kernels
are allocating irq 7.  However, no device is at irq 7 (well, nothing reported
by the probes, anyway).  I'll poke around a bit and make sure.

--
Bill Squier (groo@cs.stevens-tech.edu)
http://www.cs.stevens-tech.edu/~groo