Subject: Re: mpg123 stopped working
To: Peter Simons <simons@cys.de>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/31/1999 15:10:44
Hi,

Sounds like an IRQ problem (the device driver never gets the signal that
the card has finished playing the requested data).  Do you have anything
else in the machine that isn't being identified by your kernel?
Specifically, do you have a modem?  I have a modem and a sound blaster,
both like to use IRQ 5 (isapnp).  Even when I forced the modem onto IRQ
9 (by hacking the isapnp code), I still had problems.  I ended up just
taking my modem out (never use it anyway), and now the soundcard works
perfectly.

Rick

Peter Simons wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently updated a machine here from NetBSD/i386 1.3.2 to 1.4. So
> far everything is fine except for the fact that the mpg123 tool
> stopped working for no apparent reason. I start the MPEG-player as
> usual
>
>  $ mpg123 some_mp3_file.mp3
>
> and it comes up, playing the first three seconds of the song over and
> over again. I have tried all available versions of mpg123, from the
> latest to the oldest including the binaries found on ftp.netbsd.org
> and old copies from my NetBSD 1.3.2 installation, without luck.
>
> So my guess is that something in the system is wrong. So I wonder
> whether anybody here has experienced this problem too, or, even
> better: whether anybody here has -solved- this problem already.
>
> I'll append the relevant parts of my dmesg.boot file, just to be on
> the safe side.
>
>         -peter

Rick Byers                       University of Waterloo, Computer
Science
rickb@iaw.on.ca
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/