Subject: Re: cardbus patches.
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/28/1999 19:55:09
Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> writes:
> If theres' a cleaner way to do (in C++ terms) subclsassing which
> restricts mappable bus-windows, I'm all ears. So is Hayakawa-san.

Uh, there's no good way to do this at all in NetBSD right now in a
machine-independent way, or even specifically on the i386 port.

The right thing to do is to be able to create a MI bus space tag,
etc., but you can't do that right now.

However, even in that case, you certainly don't want to do it with
another device layer...  (I dunno what the code does, but it sounds
like it does that from what's been mentioned here.)  There's already a
device layer (the cardbus bridge layer) which should be made to
contain the right stuff.

I've got some ideas on how to fix the bus_space API with regard to
this, but unfortunately in order to do it what i'd call "The right
way" they require relatively substantial changes to the mapping
interfaces...

cgd