Subject: Re: is a serious performace loss in 1.4 possible?
To: John Refling <johnr@spimageworks.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/27/1999 10:06:18
On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 06:05:49PM -0700, John Refling wrote:
> I have a really old notebook 486sx with 8 MB ram, and am
> recompiling a new kernel.  It has been about 6 hours, with
> no end in sight.  I did the same with version 1.3.3 yesterday
> and it completed in about 2 hours!

Do you use a custom kernel already ?
The 1.4 GENERIC kernel is much bigger than the 1.3.3 was (more drivers, more
features, ...). with 8MB this can be enouth to cross a critical barrier.
Also, the compiler is now egcs, which is know to need more memory and CPU.
The optimisation level is higther too, which needs more CPU cycle.

anyway, try to get a custom, trimmed down kernel, this should help.