Subject: None
To: <>
From: Dr. John Refling <refling@comet.lbl.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/24/1999 19:08:23
I just tried to install 1.4 final release (downloaded on 20 May
1999) on my 486sx laptop and have found the following serious
problems:

The boot floppy finds my wdc0 at 0x1f0 irq 14, then
finds a wdc1 at 0x170, irq 15.

Now, this is a loptop, and I didn't think that I had two disk
controllers in it.  Maybe, maybe not.

Next, wd0 is found correctly, <NAME... from IDE i/f>

Then, TWO MORE drives are found on wdc1:

wd1 <ST506>
wd2 <ST506>

each of 68MB, 1024 cyl, 8 heads, 17 spt.

Now I know that I don't have three drives in this thing, `cause I installed
the one and only drive.

Next, the sysinst goes through about 15 minutes of "lost interrupt",
"recalibration drive fault", etc, errors.

Finally, it gets to the familiar looking install screen.

Later, the disk geometry is wrong (even though it printed out correctly
at bootup), but when I tell sysinst that I want to modify it, the default
values in brackets are actually now correct, and I can just press return
at each one.

It actually went through the entire install procedure, which worked well.

However, upon bootup, the two extra hard drives are probed, but more
importantly, the system hangs after the "lpt0" probe!

Note: this system worked well with NetBSD 1.3.3!

Any ideas?

PS.  I also tried the boot1.fs and boot2.fs in the arch/i386/install-1.4
which had the same problems.