Subject: Re: Erroneous installation documention for 1.4
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: Rick Byers <rickb@iaw.on.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/24/1999 12:18:34
Hi Darren,

From the LAST_MINUTE file:

        At the last minute, we were able to shrink down the i386 boot
        media so that everything fits in one floppy (named boot.fs)
        instead of requiring boot1.fs and boot2.fs. Most users can
        simply boot the boot.fs diskette image instead of booting the
        two floppies in sequence.

        boot1.fs and boot2.fs have been renamed boot-unstr1.fs and
        boot-unstr2.fs -- they are still available because the kernel
        on boot.fs has its symbol table stripped out to make it fit in
        one floppy. Some laptop users need an install kernel with a
        symbol table so that they can set autoconfiguration variables
        with the debugger in order to get an install over PCMCIA
        network cards to work.

And currently, the ftp site has:

boot.fs
boot-tiny.fs
boot-unstr1.fs
boot-unstr2.fs

and their gzipped equivilants.  Also, in the same directory there is a
README.files which contains:

boot.fs                 Normal installation/upgrade 1.44M floppy image
boot-tiny.fs            Cut down image for machines with 1.2M floppies
boot-unstr1.fs          Unstripped install/upgrade 1.44M floppy image,
disk 1
boot-unstr2.fs          Unstripped install/upgrade 1.44M floppy image,
disk 2

AFAIK, this is how it has been since the release was announced.

Darren Reed wrote:

> Did anyone actually walk through the installation documentation for 1.4 ?
>
> In particular this paragraph seems rather flawed:
>
> No matter whioch installation medium you choose, you'll need to have a floopy
> disk (either 1.2M or 1.44M will work).  You'll put the boot floppy image
> ("boot1.fs" and "boot2.fs" for 1.44MB floppies, "boot-tiny.fs" fpr 1.2M
> floppies) onto this disk, which contains software to install or upgrade
> your NetBSD system.  Note that the "boot-tiny.fs" image is tailored for
> "small" machines, this install image does not have drivers for PCI, PCMCIA,
> EISA or SCSI (i.e. ISA-only), but can be used on machines with only 4MB of
> RAM.
>
> from an ftp directory:
> -rw-r--r--  1 0  0  1474560 May 12 00:54 boot-unstr1.fs
> -rw-r--r--  1 0  0  1445926 May 12 00:56 boot-unstr1.fs.gz
> -rw-r--r--  1 0  0    57344 May 12 00:54 boot-unstr2.fs
> -rw-r--r--  1 0  0    39877 May 12 00:56 boot-unstr2.fs.gz
>
> Lets just hope others can work this out and that on the Usenix CD-ROM they
> appear better than they do on the one I had burnt recently (under
> Windows names show up as "BOOT-UNS.000", "BOOT-UNS.001", "BOOT-UNS.FS",
> "BOOT-UNS.GZ", "BOOT.FS" and "BOOT_FS.GZ").
>
> This install document reads like an essay, not a step by step guide on
> installing netbsd...
>
> Lets hope Usenix people can work this one out without too much trouble!

Rick Byers                       University of Waterloo, Computer
Science
rickb@iaw.on.ca
http://www.iaw.on.ca/rickb/