Subject: Re: /etc/aliases: no such file or directoy
To: Tony Hernandez <Tony.Hernandez@intellon.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/21/1999 15:25:35
On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 02:16:38PM -0400, Tony Hernandez wrote:
> I get this message every day about unasafe maps or something , It looks like
> sendmail .. < I dont use sendmail > I tried the :
> # newaliases
>
> command , but It still does this . how can I stop this from occurring
> anymore ?

newaliases will build an hashed database of aliases by reading your
/etc/aliases file. If you don't have one, newaliases won't do anything
worthwhile (except delete a database you had from before, perhaps.)

If this is a new install, did you miss unpacking the /etc directory
somehow? NetBSD comes with a default aliases file. It should have
had these:

#       $NetBSD: aliases,v 1.4 1996/05/08 17:19:20 thorpej Exp $
#
#       @(#)aliases     5.3 (Berkeley) 5/24/90
#
#  Aliases in this file will NOT be expanded in the header from
#  Mail, but WILL be visible over networks or from /bin/mail.
#
#       >>>>>>>>>>      The program "newaliases" must be run after
#       >> NOTE >>      this file is updated for any changes to
#       >>>>>>>>>>      show through to sendmail.
#

# Basic system aliases -- these MUST be present
MAILER-DAEMON: postmaster
postmaster: root

# General redirections for pseudo accounts

bin:    root
daemon: root
games:  root
ingres: root
nobody: root
system: root
toor:   root
uucp:   root

# Well-known aliases -- these should be filled in!
# root:
# operator:

# Standard aliases defined by rfc2142
# address to report network abuse (like spam)
abuse:          postmaster
# reports of network infrastructure difficulties
noc:            root
# address to report security problems
security:       root
# DNS administrator (DNS SOA records should use this)
hostmaster:     root
# Usenet news service administrator
usenet:         root
news:           usenet
# http/web service administrator
webmaster:      root
www:            webmaster
# UUCP service administrator
uucp:           root
# FTP administrator (especially anonymous FTP)
ftp:            root

# don't enable this.
# decode:       /dev/null

# uncomment this for msgs:

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,