Subject: re: less than 10MB NetBSD dist
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Erik Rungi <blackbox@openface.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/18/1999 17:29:41
I'm basically building my own base.tgz.  Maybe once I have that smoothed out
I'll start thinking about router-specific configuration options as defaults
(maybe in etc.tgz?), but for now I just need to slim things down.

The biggest problem I'm seeing is that base.tgz is excessive for what I
need.  I'm just going around removing things I don't think I need.

Things I need that aren't in base:
   gated, sshd

Things i don't need that are in base:
   most of /usr/libexec
   half of /bin, /sbin/, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin (maybe more)
   a ton of stuff in /usr/share

Then there are other things that would be nice like 3rd party monitoring
tools.

Starting from a stripped down, secure base.tgz we be sweet.

I'm trying to slim everything down to fit on a 20MB flash IDE disk.

EJR