Subject: re: less than 10MB NetBSD dist
To: <>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/18/1999 14:13:33
>I'm putting together a tarball for a less-than-10MB NetBSD base installation
>so I can use it in routers and stuff.

Sounds like a cool idea.  Thor Lancelot Simon did a lot of work to put
together a `secure' distribution (readonly root, securelevels, etc)
which may also be applicable to an `exposed' machine like a router.
But how did you intend to put this `distribution' together?
If you could do it as a subset of `base', that'd be neat; a `router'
distribution could get rebuilt automagically.

There's also an ongoing project to pkg-ize the existing sets. So the
very best thing would be to get in touch with Jim Wise and the people
on tech-install who are woring on this.  Ideally, a `router'
configuration would become a pkg-ized subset of a normal distribution;
maybe even a standard install-time option.

>If anybody else is working on or has already done this, and would like to
>coordinate with me, please let me know!

Hope the above helps.