Subject: PCMCIA problems on Hitachi Visionbook Traveler 600
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ezra Story <ezy@panix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/17/1999 14:40:26
The basic problem is that I can't get interrupts from my PCMCIA ethernet
card.  It's a ne0 driven card (SVEC Hawking Ethernet Combo).  If I ping the
other machine on the netowrk, it actually gets a pakcet, and I see the link
light -- it just never gets the xmit intr back and therefore I get a "ne0:
device timeout" message.

With more investigation, I've tried another pcmcia modem card that I had,
and that didn't seem to work either.  I've found that the pcic itself
doesn't generate interrupts for card insertion and removal unless it's
configured at irq 9 or irq 15.  Putting the ne0 at either of these doesn't
help.

I saw someone else having a similar problem with another brand of laptop
(forget which now), but there was no resolution other than suggestions to
"try" different PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC_MASK values.  I've put both the pcic
and ne0 at as many different irq as seemed reasonable and I'm still not
getting useful results.

So, anyone encounter a problem like this and solve it?  Or any
other suggestions.  It's almost as if the laptop needs some magic
bit to be twiddled to get the irq's from the slots to work.  The
isa pcmcia controller is a I82365DL (0x84) and the laptop does have
cardbus support, which is unused, of course.

Ezra