Subject: Re: possible install problems in current sources?
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <fessel@DeTeMobil.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/17/1999 10:52:34
--==_Exmh_1640548902P

In message <199905092341.TAA01215@funhouse.com>you write:
> Next, I zeroed the first 32 sectors of the hard drive and started
> again, this time not trying a custom partition scheme.  That succeeded
> in partitioning the disk and installing the distribution without
> complaint; alas, when I rebooted, the BIOS boot halted with the
> complaint "No operating system."  I can boot using a floppy, so the
> filesystem itself appears to be intact.

This is caused most likely by the 63 sec offset of the netbsd partition.
The only clean way to make a bootable disk with the install disks (without
using a boot-selector) is to manually create a disk layout using sector as
size specifier and make the "a" partition start at offset 0.

When using OS/2 Boot-selector, all is ok.

I wonder why install sets this 63 sector offset even on the boot disk.  On all
other disks this may be reasonable, but on the boot disk this usually fails
miserably.

Tried that on > 20 intels.

Grüße
        Oskar

--==_Exmh_1640548902P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.3i

iQCVAwUBNz/Y0rA63tqjeAhZAQGt/wQAmTT8OmC/c0l5pvydC/1D+shK9ipOV6xQ
0+0hCWuTfi6AJCGF02nzn2VrVuzMGZH/tZRh6d8LUGQaN36uiOMFS4FcCJ1XtHVj
yhc9wPp/r/G5ofCUYxh/hzvcDORwg/7iwZkEd8Mgk3Ejiee9hu3iEYeVk6yCQ12C
dvfbhX/WuoQ=
=6+Iy
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_1640548902P--