Subject: Re: 100base NIC's
To: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/16/1999 16:03:30
On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 04:32:21PM -0500, Brian C. Grayson wrote:
>   Personally, a vr0 (VIA Rhine) panics my home machine as soon
> as any major net traffic occurs -- memory pool corruption, I
> believe.  Jason has looked at it a bit, but so far it's still
> very unreliable for me.
>
>   If anyone has a vr0 that works great, please contact me
> privately.  I'd be interested to try out your working kernels
> etc. to try to figure out why it's broken for me.

I have one, runnning with a GENERIC 1.4 kernel in a k6/II 350 machine,
64Mb 100Mhz simms, asus p5a motherboard.
It's connected to a 100Mb HUB. Usage is: NFS (with a 10Mb server) for my
$HOME, cvs update from cvs.netbsd.org to local disk then
"tar cvf - src | rsh otherbox 'gzip -9 > /zip/src.tgz'" (this one uses the
full 100MBs). Also some package builds from a read-only NFS mounted
pkgsrc.

Could you give details about your hardware and usages ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>