Subject: Re: 100base NIC's
To: John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/13/1999 21:11:07
On Thu, 13 May 1999 22:44:09 -0500 (CDT)
 John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu> wrote:

 > Up through 1.3.3, we've been very happy with the Intel EtherExpress cards.
 > However, with 1.4, I've been unable to get them to talk at anything other
 > than 10/HDX.  I filed a pr on this (kern/7567) a couple of days ago.

This one confuses me, and I'm going to look into it as soon as I can
put a '557 card in one of my machines.

 > Also, avoid the SMC EtherPower II+ (aka 9432) cards (which use the epic
 > driver).  They've been widely denounced by the free unix community as
 > fundamentally broken, and even with all of Jason Thorpe's work on the
 > NetBSD driver they still have problems with e.g. initial arp responses.

Yah, the chip is broken ... buggy.  The programming interface is fairly
reasonable, so it's a shame.  I plan on playing with the driver again
in the future... trying some more things to work around the bugs, based
on experiences with another device that had a few bugs in early revs.