Subject: Re: Toshiba Tecra 8000 & sound
To: None <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/13/1999 23:48:44
   Benjamin Lorenz wrote:

   > Hi,
   >
   > I use NetBSD-1.4 on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 Notebook and can't get sound
   > to work properly. First, this is what dmesg says:
   >
   >  sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq 5 drq 1: dsp v3.01
   >  midi0 at sb0: <SB MIDI UART>
   >  audio0 at sb0: half duplex
   >  opl0 at sb0: model OPL3
   >  midi1 at opl0: <SB Yamaha OPL3>
   >  wss0 at isa0 port 0x530-0x537 irq 10 drq 0 drq2 1: CS4231 or AD1845
   >  audio1 at wss0: full duplex
   >
   > Playing audio CDs is working fine. The builtin speakers are attached
   > automatically (why?).
   >
   > But... neither `mpg123 foo.mp3' nor `mpg123 -a /dev/audio1 foo.mp3'
   > (after doing a `MAKEDEV audio1' in /dev)  plays my mp3 files; at least
   > I can't hear anything....

   Well, you seem to have a sound chip that emulates both SB and WSS.
   Try building a kernel without SB support and see check if WSS works
   right.  You don't want to use the SB 3.01 emulation since it's only 8 bit
   sound.

   --

	   -- Lennart

That is exactly what I had to do on my Toshiba Portege.  Watch the DMA
channels and IRQ settings.  The default BIOS settings did not match the
GENERIC kernel settings for the wss config entry [the IRQ was different
and the channels were backwards, if I remember correctly].  The SB
emulation mode is pretty bad.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]