Subject: Re: 100base NIC's
To: None <stevep@mccue.com>
From: John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/13/1999 22:44:09
In article <01BE9D7C.9A7CD390.stevep@mccue.com> Steve Paul wrote:
>What this comes down to is: Does anyone have a recommended
>100base card that will work?  I'll run any version of NetBSD from
>1.3.2 to current.  I've tried several 3Com's, several SMC's and
>now NetGear cards and I'm kind of out of options for local availability.
>I was about to mail-order some Intel 10/100 combo's to try 'em out,
>but if you people have any that are known to work, I'd appreciate
>to hear about 'em.

>Thanks!
>Steve Paul
>McCue Systems, Inc.

Up through 1.3.3, we've been very happy with the Intel EtherExpress cards.
However, with 1.4, I've been unable to get them to talk at anything other
than 10/HDX.  I filed a pr on this (kern/7567) a couple of days ago.

Also, avoid the SMC EtherPower II+ (aka 9432) cards (which use the epic
driver).  They've been widely denounced by the free unix community as
fundamentally broken, and even with all of Jason Thorpe's work on the
NetBSD driver they still have problems with e.g. initial arp responses.

jdarrow

--
John Darrow
Computing Services, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL