Subject: Re: Toshiba Tecra 8000 & sound
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/13/1999 18:57:28
On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 09:54:55PM +0200, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> > > What happens if you copy a file to /dev/audio ?  Maybe you have an interrupt
> > > problem?  (Wild guessing..)
> >
> > I investigated further: I have a Yamaha OPL3-SAx chip, but somehow,
> > it is NOT detected by the isapnp code. The BIOS says, control address
> > is 538H, WSS I/O = 530H, SB Pro I/O = 220H, IRQ 10
>
> So this is what you should have in your config file:
> # ISA Plug-and-Play audio devices
> ym*     at isapnp?                      # Yamaha OPL3-SA3 audio
> audio*  at ym?

There are non-PnP OPL implementations out there.  My Toshiba Libretto has
one.  But I thought we now had a plain isa front-end to the "ym" driver that
could handle them?  It should probably be in GENERIC, probing at 530,
since that's where the Toshiba laptops all seem to put the chip by default,
and should probe *before* the sb and wss probes, so they don't get the
chip instead.

My Libretto doesn't have PnP at all, AFAICT.  It also has no PCI bus, even
internally, even though it's a P75 -- ISA PIO IDE, and so forth.  Kinda
crummy... I can't imagine it would have cost them much power or space, and
doing a custom chipset must have cost *more*!