Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.4 Install Problems
To: Josh Hope <otaku@unixborg.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/11/1999 21:08:45
Josh Hope <otaku@unixborg.net> writes:
> I've never upgraded NetBSD on the i386 port before, and I went into it
> hoping it would be similar to the mac68k port (where you can just
> download the binaries, then unpack them into their places (usually you
> have to supply --unlink to tar), then restart and everything turns out
> great).

You can. You just have to unpack and reboot with a new kernel
FIRST. That will work just fine.

> Upon rebooting, this time from the hard drive, the sysinst screen pops
> up. I tried switching around kernels (between the old kernel and the new
> kernel), but it still kept on popping up.

The kernel has nothing to do with it. You need to unpack base
again. Use the --unlink option. "all will be well".

> So I'm guessing there must be an option or a file that is telling the
> computer not to go into multiuser mode, for some strange reason.

No. What's happened is that you have a customized init and a bunch of
other programs that are all physically in one executable sitting on
your hard drive.

Unpack all your sets other than /etc again and all will be well -- I
guarantee it. Remember the --unlink, and remember to START with a new
kernel!

Perry