Subject: internal modem on generic K62
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/10/1999 18:45:20
Hi all,
A friend is trying to use an internal modem on his *cheap* AMD K6-2 PeeCee
with a PC100 motherboard (SIS). The DMESG reports isapnp and sees the pci
bridge & everything, & it recognises the ethernet card no problem along
with all of the built-in ports. Unfortunately, so far we've been unable to
find a modem that shows up in the dmesg. Is there something that must be
done in the bios or something in order to get the modem recognised? So far
we've tried a Reveal 14.4 modem yanked out of his old 486, we've tried a
USR Sportster 56k WinModem, a 56k modem pulled from his new Compaq P2/333
Mhz...the modem's made by lucent. Those were modems that we had lying
around. I know Reveal went out of business, so I had no info on that modem.
I wasn't sure if the WinModem was a 'doze-only monster that required
special drivers (like my friend's old MWave which is actually a DSP similar
to the Macintosh's GeoPort). I've long been wary of Compaq's
incompatibility with other vendors, so I didn't really want to trust that.
Neither the Compaq's modem, nor the 14.4 showed up in the least. The
WinModem showed up as an unconfigured HP modem:
isapnp0: <HP Fast Modem D4810A , USR6101, , > port 0x110/8 irq 5 not configured

What is required to get that configured & working?

Since the WinModem was something I had lying around, he just went out &
bought an internal modem that stated that it uses a 16550 /A Compatible
Enhanced UART so it should work. Like all but the WinModem, it doesn't even
show up. I've got an alpha running NetBSD and a Mac that can run it, but
I've always used internal modems pretty much because (A) they "just work"
and (B) they're cross-platform Mac <->PC <-> anything else I can rig up a
HH cable for :).

So, given that it doesn't show up in the least is there any way to make it
work? Would I be able to compile a kernel for him with my alpha that can
recognize it? It's set to com3, irq5. Any further info I could provide to
help?

Thanks for any insight,
Mike

...ps please cc to me as I'm not subbed to i386
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.