Subject: Problem with 1.4 install floppy and panic in union filesystem
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/10/1999 17:43:18
Hi,

I hope what can be found under 1.4/i386 on the ftp sites is not yet
the final 1.4 release as I have discovered two severe problem, at
least one of which did not turn up in the BETAs I tested.

- The boot floppy boots fine, checks the filesystems when choosing
'upgrade', then says "populating filesystems [...]", then installs the
bootloader (I think) and then says"

  "/: uid 0: write failed: file system full"

or similar. / is the installation ram disk, at this point etc
has been backuped to etc.old and some files have been written to the
file systems.

sysinst then exits.

Rebooting from hard disk after this starts up a sysinst, that is not
usable at all. Overwriting /sbin/init from the base.tgz and moving
etc.old back to etc makes the original 1.4-BETA system usable again. I
don't know what would happen if the original system was 1.3.x.

Installing the 1.4 binaries from the 1.4_BETA floppies works.

- I get a reproducable panic on both my i386 machines (Cx486Dx2 and
Celeron-A), when I do the following:

% mkdir a
% mkdir b
% mount_union ./a ./b
% mount_union ./a ./b
% mount_union ./a ./b

The system immediately crashes with:

panic: lockmgr: locking against myself.
syncing disks .. done
rebooting

I know the above probably doesn't make much sense, but it can be done
by any unprivilieged user and crashes the system.

I will also send-pr, I searched the data base and could not find an
appropriate pr. It seems that no-one really uses the union filesystem
a lot.

Regards,

	Bernd

--