Subject: Re: USB modems, USB drives and APM + USB support on 1.4
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/08/1999 18:26:48
>> There are many new USB modems (which are very tiny and self powered), and
>> USB drives (like the 200 MB zip drives) which are out now.  If I am not
>> mistaken, NetBSD still does not have any support for these yet.  Is anyone
>>  working on adding these USB devices to NetBSD?
>The FreeBSD are working on a ZIP driver, if the modems follow the specs they
>should be fairly easy to handle.  Volounteers welcome.

(Having recently asked about USB ZIP drives on current-users...)
I took a quick look a the FreeBSD ZIP driver; it depends on their CAM
implementation, so it isn't going to work on NetBSD for a long time.
I am interested in working on a NetBSD driver (or a NetBSD version of their
driver if I can come up with an adequate shim), and will commence working
on one as soon as I can scrounge some free time; any advice is welcome. :-)