Subject: RE: still probs with this machine
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/08/1999 10:10:13
> Back when the mcd0 probe used to match *anything* it could blow away
> the nonvolatile config of some Ethernet cards so badly that even the
> vendor firmware couldnt find them. It doesnt do that anymore, and it
> does port accounting. I dont think there's any real reason (besides
> superstition) not to enable the mcd driver.

Been there, happened to me twice. Charles Hannum fixed my card (I was about
to buy a new one) - I owe hime at least a beer or a pizza!

I can examine this further. I have a mitsumi CD-Rom and multiple we0 cards -
as well as  the tools to fix them if it busts them ;-)

The problem was not that simple: the mcd0 probe enabled writes to the SMC
cards EEPROM and the wt0 probe managed to change its ethernet ID and card
type field and store it back - wich resulted in a checksum mismatch, so
neither our driver nor the SMC "ezconfig" DOS tools recognized the card any
more.

What's needed to check if this is safe? Compile a test kernel with mcd0, wt0
and we0, check if the probe order is still the same, if not rearange that
and see if it still happens? Or better do code inspection? I would put this
on my TODO list after "get my ep0 card to work" (the EISA one, you probably
remember).

Martin