Subject: Re: still probs with this machine
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/07/1999 14:24:12
In message <199905070613.IAA00911@rumolt.teuto.de>,
Martin Husemann writes:
>Tobias Seiler <tobias.seiler@privat.kkf.net> wrote:
>
>> I still have trouble with installing this machine.
>>
>> After fiddeling out that the card for the CDROM is not a soundcard but a
>> sh** fu*** Mitsumi controller card, I had connected the harddrive to a
>> different machine and installed NetBSD 1.3.3 on this machine to thisharddriv
>e.
>
>I'm have just double-checked my machine with a Mitsumi CD-ROM, it works just
>fine with NetBSD 1.4 (see below), so your Problem has nothing to do with that
>one (or you did mean something different...)

Neither the GENERIC nor any of the INSTALL kernels include mcd0
support. So trying to install from CD via an mcd0 wont work.
Since the kernel doesnt know about it, it may well mis-allocate the
IRQ at which the mcd is wired for use by, e.g., PnP devices.

Back when the mcd0 probe used to match *anything* it could blow away
the nonvolatile config of some Ethernet cards so badly that even the
vendor firmware couldnt find them. It doesnt do that anymore, and it
does port accounting. I dont think there's any real reason (besides
superstition) not to enable the mcd driver.