Subject: Compaq Presario problems.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/05/1999 20:39:01
Hi,

I am having a bit of a problem with a Compaq Presario 2266, which
we just got.  I'll try to describe the symptoms, but I am a bit
frazzed at the moment, since it has been ticking me off quite a
bit, and I am working on a lot of coffee and 4 hours of sleep, so
please bear with me.

I can't seem to get my NetGear ethernet cards to properly work with
it.  These are old NetGears, with the DecChip 21140-AF, and they
both work well in many other i386's.

The symptoms that I get are apparent under both 1.3.1 and 1.4_BETA.

All tests have been performed using `install-like' kernels with an
mfs root.  (The 1.4_BETA tests were with the kernel from:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4_BETA/i386/installation/floppy/boot-big.fs
although it was booted with dosboot.com off a msdosfs floppy.)

The symptoms are:

If PNP OS == NO {
	The cards (tried two, same results) are recognised, and get configured
	but ping to another host on the wire fails.

	Interestingly, if one unplugs the card from the net, the kernel does
	notice, and report the problem.
}

If PNP OS == YES {
	The cards fail to probe, saying that they can't map their IO space.
}

I have another Presario that I'll try out later with one of the
cards, and I have yet to tcpdump from another machine to see if
packets are leaving the Presario, but that is high on my list of
priorities.  (After dinner, and more cursing.)

Thanks for any help you can provide,

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == NetBSD logos:                     http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/logo/  ==