Subject: Re: NetBSD_1.4Beta & Date
To: None <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Graham Jenkins <c714553@vus415.telstra.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/05/1999 09:18:43
>You should do `ntpdate -b', to tell ntpdate that this is a boot.
Yes - that is already the default if you select 'YES' in '/etc/rc.conf ..

>We should probably make that the default: the ntp mechanisms will give
>up if the clock si toof ar out of whack.
>
>>If 'ntpdate' won't correct it, there is another thing called 'msntp'
>>which probably will. You can get the source from:
>>  ftp://oozelum.csi.cam.ac.uk/bin/msntp-1.5.tar.gz
>
>That's nick maclaren's sntp client, right?
Yes - it's Nick Maclaren's thing.

>No need for SNTP if you've got ntpdate; SNTP is a subset of NTP.

As you pointed out - 'ntpdate -b' will barf it the time difference is too
large. I haven't fully checked it out - but I think MSNTP will do the deed
anyhow.  This may be pertinent for those of us whose machines lose their
clock if they lose power and/or have non-Y2k-clocks.

G.