Subject: Re: NetBSD_1.4Beta & Date
To: Graham Jenkins <c714553@vus415.telstra.com.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/04/1999 14:15:38
In message <199905041355.XAA03410@vus415.telecom.com.au>Graham Jenkins writes
>> how can I change my date in 1.4 beta ? im off by atleast  5 hours .
>> my bios reports the correct date and time ...  how can I set this up ?
>
>You can try using 'ntpdate' at boot time (see appropriate line in
>'/etc/rc.conf' if you have access to some NTP servers.  I'm not sure
>how that will work for a 5 hour difference - I know it got upset when
>I had a 5-day difference.

You should do `ntpdate -b', to tell ntpdate that this is a boot.
nptdate -b will jump the clock, rather than trying to slew it towards
the correct time.

We should probably make that the default: the ntp mechanisms will give
up if the clock si toof ar out of whack.

>If 'ntpdate' won't correct it, there is another thing called 'msntp'
>which probably will. You can get the source from:
>  ftp://oozelum.csi.cam.ac.uk/bin/msntp-1.5.tar.gz

That's nick maclaren's sntp client, right?
No need for SNTP if you've got ntpdate; SNTP is a subset of NTP.