Subject: Re: NetBSD_1.4Beta & Date
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/04/1999 09:26:01
On Tue, 4 May 1999, John F. Woods wrote:

> Hmm.  It would be really elegant if sysinst would offer to patch up your kernel
> after the installation was complete (as if sysinst didn't already have enough
> to do...).

Hell, if you're gonna do that, you might as well go the whole route: Offer
a check-list of compile options, patch the source, then build and install
a custom kernel as one of the last steps of the install process.  SCO does
this.  It's not necessarily the fastest method of installation, and
definately wouldn't work on a system with limited resources, but it does
build a kernel designed specifically for that machine.

Personnally, I dislike automated custom builds and would rather handle it
myself -- including patching -- after installation.  However, a
recommended list of patches would have value to me.

  /\---/\  Eric J Fox
 /  o o  \ http://fox.phoenix.az.us
    \@/    "Of course it runs NetBSD."