Subject: Re: NetBSD_1.4Beta & Date
To: Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/04/1999 00:58:56
Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> writes:
> Set /etc/localtime to point to the correct file in /usr/share/zoneinfo,
> and if you need your hardware clock on localtime for sharing with DOS
> or Windows you'll also need to set rtc_offset by either recompiling the
> kernel, sysctl'ing kern.rtc_offset, or patching the existing kernel.

sysctling kern.rtc_offset is absolutely useless. By the time userland
starts up, inittodr() has long since been executed. I don't even
remember if I bothered making the variable writable for just that
reason.

The only reasonable options are patching and using options RTC_OFFSET
I think someone had a program they proposed adding to userland that
would automate the patching process, but its pretty trivial anyway.

Perry