Subject: Re: NetBSD_1.4Beta & Date
To: Tony Hernandez <dbsaint@bellsouth.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/03/1999 23:49:54
Tony Hernandez <dbsaint@bellsouth.net> writes:
> how can I change my date in 1.4 beta ?

"man date"?

> im off by atleast  5 hours .
> my bios reports the correct date and time ...  how can I set this up ?

NetBSD, as with most sane systems, maintains system time as UTC, not
as local time. Userland library calls automatically display the time
to the user in the local zone, by applying a conversion
factor. Assuming you are in US/Central, your current wall should be
five hours different from the time your BIOS reports.

If you need to share your machine between NetBSD and a benighted
operating system like Windows that tries to maintain the hardware
clock on local time (which shifts twice a year and is thus
non-monotonic), you can use the RTC_OFFSET kernel option to fake
things fairly well.

Have you set your timezone properly, btw?

Perry