Subject: Re: port-i386/7448: X11 w/ wscons sporadic keyboard hangs and unable to set autorepeat rate
To: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/03/1999 16:55:20
>Maybe I can put the newer libraries from the 1.4_BETA snapshot on my system an
>test it that way?  I'm a bit nervous about trying a full upgrade to 1.4_BETA
>because it will be hard for me to back out if it still doesn't work.
>
>Hopefully the problem is just caused by something like the mismatched server
>and kernel.  The fact that no one else has complained about it suggests that i
>can't be that common, which given the closeness of the 1.4 release date
>is just as well ...

hi Duncan,

I saw something very like this with 1.4_ALPHA or _BETA, when I
installed `by hand'.  My problem was having ttyE? on in
/etc/ttys,  as well as /dev/console.

What to have in /etc/ttys depends on which, if any, of dev/ttyE[1-3]
you've configured on in /etc/rc.wscons. (By default, only ttyE0 is on
in a GENERIC kernel; if you want more you have to configure them.)

I get by with /dev/console off, ttyE0 commented out, and a 1.4
Xserver.  The Xserver finds /dev/ttyE0, and all's fine.  If you
symlink /dev/ttyv0 -> dev/ttyE0, even a 1.3.x Xserver should work,
too.

I found getting the old Xserver to work via the  /dev/ttyv? -> /dev/ttyE?
symlinks hairy, but that may be because I hadnt configured the extra
ttyE? devices in /dev/rc.wscons properly

hope that helps,
--Jonathan